SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?


Brother "Rick" and Me, circa 1963 Posted by Hello
What can I say about my brother Rick?
He's imaginitive, for one thing. To explain just why he (and his bike) were entirely covered with mud, he once claimed he'd saved another boy from drowning in the three inch deep local creek. The bike was necessary to this heroic deed because the mud was "like quicksand!"
Generous also comes to mind. He allowed me to borrow his treasured Stingray bike with the new banana seat, sissy-bar and speedometer, so I could see it truly would go 60 mph downhill... It did.
As an adult, he always had an endless supply of both bawdy and/or sick jokes.
Our parents both passed away in 1992 at the age of 59. Rick's visits gradually became fewer and farther between, finally ending around 1996.
Is he now a mercenary or a spy? Perhaps he's somebody's father, God forbid?
Maybe he thinks I'm still mad about that last collect call he made to me- the one where he needed to tell me he'd won $8,000 playing stud poker?

3 Comments:

Blogger CV said...

You haven't seen him since '96?!? You need to drop him a line. Even if it's under the pretense you're calling to brag about winning at Bingo. Whatever. My point is make something up and reconnect with the guy! You're right you could be an auntie for all you know. He sounds like quite the character. A proverbial Holden Caulfield. ;D

By the way, you were a very cute little girl. Also your blog rocks. I really like your writing. It's very sharp.

5:12 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Thank you for the wonderful comments!
Actually, my brother really was interested in becoming a mercenary soldier at one time. He apparently doesn't want to be located at this time, and I have to respect that.
The last communication he sent was a map of a storage locker he rented, with instructions on disarming a trip wire and exactly where to find (and remove) some dangerous items.
Note to "christian:" BINGO??? NOOOOOOOOO! I'm 51, not 81. Thank you for the other compliments, though.
Jude, I'd be honored with a link. You both rock!

1:02 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

juliette-
I've been going through some of my older comments, and entirely missed this one! I'm so sorry!
Where is my head at?

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home