SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Monday, March 21, 2005

My Aunt Joyce


Aunt Joyce Moriarity Posted by Hello
My father's only sister, the last of his siblings, passed away Friday March 18, 2005 at the approximate age of 83.
Aside from a few fleeting memories of my youngest years spent in New Mexico, Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia, most of my recollections span from 1962 when we moved to California.
Luckily my father worked for United Air Lines by that time, and we were able to visit our families in Maryland and New York twice a year.
I have many happy memories of visiting my paternal grandmother in Rochester. Aunt Joyce lived just down the street, and although she was a hard working mother of three boys, she always made time to visit with us.
As her boys got older she was able (several times) to fly out and visit us as well. My last real visit with her was about 1972. By that time I was living on my own, and had heard that Joyce was hoping to (again) visit San Francisco. I was able to kidnap her for an entire day and take her to Fisherman's Wharf and a few other tourist spots in the vicinity. Her dearest souvenir was a loaf of sourdough bread she planned to take home and share. We also purchased sourdough starter, but as I remember, it later failed to work in the Rochester climate.
Joyce turned to the Mormon faith in her late 40's, with the zeal of all converts. Thankfully she didn't try to convert the rest of us 'heathens.' Her conversion initiated the interest in our family lineage, and her research gave me a tremendous amount of hard-won information with which to begin my own research.
Thank you Aunt Joyce, and may you rest now.

2 Comments:

Blogger CV said...

I agree with Jude. My grandmother is a wealth of precious memories, observsations, and humorous anecdotes. Reading your amazingly thoughtful blog inspires me to give her a call and propose scanning all of the old photographs to share with our relatives from all over.

Again, SierraBella I have to state that I love reading your writing. I am reminded of one of my favorite authors when I read your posts. Your style is so elegant, clean(as in uncluttered), and clever. Visiting your blog is always a joy. ;)

4:07 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jude & christian-
Just as I'd begun to wonder whether my musings had any value!
If (through this blog) just one person could benefit by gathering family information before they lose their 'contacts'-- that would be priceless to me.
THANK YOU!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home