SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Good Golly Miss Mollie...


Miss Mollie Johnson, Westminster, Maryland Posted by Hello
From the information I was able to dig up, (pardon the pun) Miss Mollie was a school teacher. She was born about 1857, and her given name was Mary E. Johnson.
Inscribed on the back of her picture is the message "To My Little Eddie."
Eddie was my great-grandfather John Edward Murray, born in 1871.
The little I know about schoolteachers back in those days consists of the facts:
Once married, female teachers were required to relinquish their jobs.
All teachers were expected to act as role models. They were to maintain proper decorum, both on and off the job.
Miss Mollie appears to be an attractive young woman, and I'll bet she didn't remain single (and therefore teaching) for long.
One thing about this photograph puzzles me though- She seems to be rather fancily dressed for the prim and proper times she lived in, and good God- she's wearing earrings!

6 Comments:

Blogger SierraBella said...

Jude where have you been?! You haven't posted anything lately on your site...
It does appear regulations have eased up somewhat (for teachers.)
In my opinion, I believe parents are supposed to be the role models.
And...I love piercings.

2:40 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

and... her the front of her hair looks like it is styled, instead of pulled straight back.... maybe she married well?

I really love all of your pictures, they are so fascinating.

6:56 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
She may have married well. I don't recall being able to find a marriage record for her, not in Maryland anyway.
I too love these photos. It's probably not nice to poke fun at dead people, but it's a 'hecka' lotta fun.

2:06 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Eddie must have been teacher's pet;)

4:14 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
I think you're right!
Miss Mollie was for sure a role model, as Eddie later became a teacher himself!

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home