SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Rochester Farm


John Edward Murray & Jack- Posted by Hello
My great-grandfather John Edward Murray was a farmer, assistant court clerk and (dearest to his heart) a teacher.
He purchased Rochester Farm, which was just outside the town of Westminster, Maryland in 1912.
My mother had told us how the farm had once been a stop on the Underground Railroad, and I took great pride in thinking my great-grandfather had assisted slaves to freedom. Realizing now that a former owner of the farm had been the one to give aid really burst my bubble.
As a child, my mother lived on that farm. She once found a corncob doll stashed deep inside the root cellar. I asked, but she didn't remember what became of it.
I visited the farm once, just prior to it being sold. My only memories of this visit were seeing a portrait of my great-grandmother (who for some strange reason I thought was a witch) and getting a look at the door to that root cellar. I wanted to go inside but was told it was too dangerous.
Just another of my missed opportunities...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home