SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Just The Facts, Ma'am


John Edward Murray and sister Lois- Posted by Hello
A recent comment was posted which leads me to believe people are thinking I'm creating these stories.
No, I'm not the inventive type, although I surely wish I were.
All the photos on this blog are family pictures handed down to me through past generations. All the photos on my Sierra Vistas site were taken by me, either on or near my property.
I piece together my stories (on this blog) through both research, and family lore.
Research includes browsing through census records, old newspaper items, family wills, and sometimes Googling. It's truly amazing what information one can find online.
I simply piece together this information, and attempt to add a little humor to what is normally an arid subject matter.
By the way, the attached photo shows "My Little Eddie" mentioned on the previous post.

5 Comments:

Blogger Squirl said...

I like your site. These old photos are really cool. We have a lot of old photos but the ancestors were really bad at labeling them so we don't know who half the people were.

On a totally different note: I was on Susie's site and noticed that you were a Davy Jones fan. I was, too! I was only 10 years old but I was definitely going to marry Davy. I even learned to do a decent imitation of his singing voice. I know, that's weird. Weird runs in my family. Have you read Bucky4Eyes, my sister. :-)

Anyway, I'll come back again. Neat site.

7:18 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
Thanks!
I'm also disappointed in the unknown status of many of my photos. You just can't make a guess about things like that.
I first saw Davy Jones when I was 8-9 years old. He played The Artful Dodger in the play "Oliver!" By the time the Monkees came out I felt as if I already knew him. (Which means I had dibs on him!)
Yeah, I read Bucky4Eyes, and like your site too!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, geez, I've stumbled into a Monkees fan club meeting here!

I love old photos of children. They always look so serious. Do you know anything about the history of photography, as far as when did photographers start encouraging people to smile, or look pleasant? I know at some point they started saying, "Say cheese." But what did they do before that, to get people to look so stern? Just wonderin'...

4:19 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, this Monkees fan club meeting is not exclusive, please join in.

I've seen all those pictures where the folks look so stern. I wonder if they just never thought about smiling?

I'd like to know when Cheese came into style. A few years ago I was at the Grand Canyon. Some oriental toursits were there and they didn't say anything in English until it came time for a picture. Then they all said "Cheese!"

10:02 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

lizard-
Glad to hear your thumb is better!
susie-
I did just a little research on photography, trying to learn to date some of my old photos. I would guess smiling was allowed once the technology allowing a faster aperture time arrived?
squirl-
CHEESE! Makes you wonder how that term came about... I have a photo of some friends, where the wiseguy in the crowd just had to say "smegma!" The culprit is the only one in the photo who's looking at the camera- everyone else is laughing, and looking at him!

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home