SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Friday, May 20, 2005

Cousin Abe?


At the Lincoln Memorial- Posted by Hello
I've learned a few things in the short time that I've been researching my ancestry. One of the most important is that one needs to locate specific records. This would include census documents, newspaper articles, and birth, death and marriage records.
I've perused the various ancestry message boards looking for clues of my own ancestry, and sometimes found valuable information. Before adding any of this newfound information, I like to double-check the data. I've seen hundreds of family tree errors, due to people outright copying unchecked information from others.
My mother used to tell us we were descended from William the Conqueror through our Shipley family, and I've seen that indicated on several sites. As I've not yet found the true father of Adam Shipley (supposedly the first of our family to arrive in America,) I cannot claim this as true.
Then there is the enigma of Abraham Lincoln's heritage.
I did some extra research yesterday, and found the two common beliefs about his family were about equally divided.
The side I'd like to believe states that Abraham was the son of Nancy Hanks, who was the daughter of Lucy Shipley. Lucy was the daughter of Robert Shipley Jr., who was the son of Robert Shipley. Robert Sr. was one of Adam Shipley's six children.
I'm descended from Robert Sr. as well, and also from Robert's brother Peter, so of course this story appeals to me.
The other side believes Abraham was the illegitimate son of Nancy Hanks, and that her mother may have been named Lucy, but not Shipley.
Apparently Abraham Lincoln's body is now encased within tons of concrete, and not available for DNA testing, so we may never know the truth about his birth.
I guess there are some things only a mother knows for sure.

4 Comments:

Blogger shana p. said...

I think you should go with the Abe story.... that is amazing!

9:42 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Yeah, I prefer that story also, not that it buys me anything. It would mean I was related to actor Tom Hanks (through marriage)...
A few months ago I was in communication with a Lincoln scholar and we discussed the dilemma of his birth.
She did want a copy of my family tree for her records.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Byliner said...

Congratulations on retiring - at our age - and for your genealogical research.

Here in Washington, DC, and in our parents' hometowns, my brother and I have done some family research, and we have visited the National Archives.

I also have visited the embassies of our parents' ancestral countries from Eastern Europe, but we haven't found a lot of information in the old countries.

You left a message on my meager blog, but I haven't taken it beyond the introductory. My brother just started his own blog, but I was months ahead of him. You have a much more developed ... blog than I do because I haven't much to say on it.

Very interesting answers you gave to the list of questions, but I didn't see the photo of you that others raved about and that illustrates some of your answers - only the grandchild's photo.

Let's exchange e-mail about family history research, work in communications and how to retire so early.

Best wishes.

7:26 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Byliner-
I did go back and look at your blog, and I do remember visiting!
You should choose your subject matter and run with it.
I believe the photo you mention was the picture of myself at a very young age, positioned at the top of the posting you mentioned.
I received your email, and will reply shortly...
I'm doing some work on the property and need to finish up before it gets any hotter today.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home