SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Friday, April 22, 2005

Could This Be Husband # 2 ?


George Arnold & Carrie Shreeve Posted by Hello
Although George Arnold is written on the backside of this old photograph, I've been unable (so far) to identify him. Many young men during this time period went off to WWI and disappeared from record. As far as I know, Arnold may be his middle name.
Carrie Louisa Shreeve is another story. She was the daughter of my Great-Great Aunt Keturah Louisa Shipley and her husband Jabez G. Shreeve.
Carrie was born March 30, 1887 in Carroll County, Maryland. She was an only child, so George is definitely not her brother.
Carrie married J. Wilson Zepp about 1907, and he subsequently died in August 1918.
Her next husband of record was Charles Walter Oursler. They married sometime after 1930, in Maryland.
Both the 1920 and 1930 census' show Carrie as widowed, but since there is a 10 year gap between the two census, it's entirely possible there was another marriage during that time.
She was obviously a lovely young woman, and suitors were probably plentiful.
Carrie died in June 1983, and was buried next to her first husband J. Wilson Zepp.
I met her husband "Charlie" Oursler when I was a young girl, but I don't recall ever meeting Carrie.
I have 3 or 4 photos of Carrie, but no pictures of either of her known husbands (although they could possibly be among my "Unknown Photos" collection.)
It's not wise to speculate about these matters, but it sure looks like this is a wedding photograph to me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Oh, I didn't realize it until you said so, but it surely does look like a wedding photograph. She is just lovely, and they both look SOOOOO young.

3:30 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
I had also thought maybe a Catholic confirmation, but they'd be 'way old' for that, besides the family was traditionally Methodist.
Since 'blogworld' is usually slow on the weekends I might do a little more poking around on this today.

10:57 AM  
Blogger CV said...

They look so stiif and dignified and at the same time so ... young! How old would you guess they are, 17?

9:15 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

christian-
Yep, I'm also thinking 17 or 18 years old.
Just last night I found a new distant cousin on the ancestry.com message boards, who's related along this line of the family. I'm hoping he might know something about Carrie and the mystery man.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home