SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Monday, April 25, 2005

Here's To Distant Cousins!


Amelia Cook Conaway- courtesy of Len E. Posted by Hello
While searching the message boards on ancestry.com, I recently found a distant cousin!
He's been kind enough to share gravesite photographs from Maryland, and much information of which I was previously unaware.
This photo, for instance, is the tombstone of a common ancestor of ours, Amelia Cook Conaway. She was my GGGG-Grandmother, born August 1780. She died June 14, 1865 in Carroll County, Maryland; and is buried in the Ebenezer U.M. Cemetery in Winfield, Maryland.
To most, I suppose, gravesite photgraphs might seem macabre. In ancestry search, these are quite valuable.
Due to environmental pollution, many grave markers are becoming unreadable.
There are many "Lost Cemeteries." One such cemetery was known as Adam's Garden, and was the family plot of Adam Shipley III and his wife Ruth Tevis (or Tivis.) The markers are long gone, and the land is now occupied by Springfield State Hospital near Sykesville, Maryland. A monument was erected on this site in 1984.
What I'd like to know is what happened to the bodies? Are they lying somewhere below the Hospital grounds?
I hope they're resting in peace!

4 Comments:

Blogger shana p. said...

That is really cool.... I have to go all the way to Switzerland for my ancestors, and now they bury them 2 deep or cremate them because they have run out of room!

7:40 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
I'm all for cremation, you know...
ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
It really is nice to have the markers though.
I'm having one hell of a time trying to trace my European ancestry.

10:24 AM  
Blogger shana p. said...

I have to ask him... but I remember my dad going to I think, Vienna where there are a lot of historical records. He is trying to build a family tree on his (Italian) side of the family.

3:27 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey-
I have ancestors from Vienna, but haven't been to Europe (yet.)
Would love to see Italy.
If I had my 'druthers,' I'd live in a villa in Italy.
Do you think George Clooney would mind if I borrowed his?

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home