SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mothers Day


Mom, about 1952- Posted by Hello
* I'm posting this early, as I may not be writing this week due to expected company *
My mother Dorothy Murray Warren Nicht was born in Maryland, in October 1932.
As a child, she lived on her Grandfather Murray's farm. Her memories of childhood spent on that farm consisted of running, quite fast, down a slope and breaking an arm. There was also the dreadful chicken incident where she learned just why it wasn't a good idea to name any of the resident chickens, which is also the day she refused to eat that particular Sunday dinner.
Mom attended nursing school, and almost graduated. She realized this wasn't a good career choice while attending a thumb amputation surgery. Fainting didn't bode well for a future nurse.
She was later a student at Towson, working toward a teaching degree; but as was common in those days, she fell in love, married, and quit school.
My mother gave birth to four children, and was lucky enough to stay home and care for us.
This woman never ever cussed... except once. Mom was driving, with us children, when another driver cut her off. She slammed on the brakes, and out of her mouth came the word shithead! We were totally shocked, but began giggling after recovering from the horror that our mother had said a bad word!
She went back to college to pick up the three units she was short, when we were older. An interest in Hospice care ensued, and she dived into more classes.
My father passed away, at the age of 59, in 1992. She followed several months later, also at the age of 59. We all feel she died of a broken heart.
Of course my mother is much missed. Her unfailing love and sense of humor most of all.
I can see (in my mind's eye) my mother watching from afar. And you know what she's saying whenever one of her children suffers the slings and arrows thrown by others... "shithead!"
Shithead Indeed!

8 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Your mother is absolutely stunning. I am imagining that you adored her. It just gave me chills of I don't know, sadness, not-rightness, that both of your parents died so young.
I know that Murray is a common name, but stranger things have happened -- we were related by marriage to some Murrays from AA county, or maybe further south, who own a large farm and have a son Dale, now in his....late 40s....any connection?

12:26 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

OK, that was a little freaky. I popped back over to my site, and you'd been there re-commenting. Definitely gonna have to look into that group therapy for blog addicts!!! :0

12:29 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
Thank you for your kind words!
My Murrays went from Ireland to Carroll County, but I'm (so far) unable to trace some of my GG uncles. I'd thought they had moved to Baltimore, but I should check further into this.
Had lots of relatives in Anne Arundel further back, but they migrated to Carroll County and also to Athens County, Ohio.
I think I really do need this week off-line!

1:23 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

She is absolutely beautiful!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

What a cutie! She seems like she had a great personality too. Very sweet with a lovely sense of humor.

6:04 PM  
Blogger CV said...

Your mother is an elegant, beautiful woman. It's so tragic she died so young, and shortly after your dad. They must have really loved each other.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Hey, SierraBella, I found someone older than we! Heeeheeee. Old Horsetail Snake is 74 and online! Yeeha! Hope you're having a wonderful break, and Happy Mother's Day to you:)

1:41 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

cheesecakey, sylvana & christian-
Thanks for your comments!
I do love this particular photo of my mother.
She did indeed have a great sense of humor.

susie-
I also found another older person, a man in his 80's!

Hope everyone had a great Mothers Day!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home