SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Spittin' Image


Earl Francis Nicht, born 1901 Posted by Hello
My grandfather, Earl Francis Nicht was born in Rochester, New York, in May of 1901.
By the age of 18, he was shown as a "printer" working for the "Daily Paper."
I remember him working as a lithographer at the Rochester Democrat Newspaper. In his home was a photograph of himself at work, with his usual round eyeglasses, a visor, and the huge cigar clamped in one side of his mouth. He appeared more like a bookie than a lithographer.
For some strange reason, whenever I'd see a movie with Edward G. Robinson I'd think of him. Perhaps in my mind I held my grandfather in this earlier time period, where men were gents, women were dames, and organized crime figures were somewhat idolized. Sure, they were gunning for the G-Men, but they were also burning mortgages and paying a pretty penny to those who would harbor and feed the mobsters along the way.
The photograph above shows my grandfather long before his resemblence to Edward G. became apparent.
What frightens me is the fact that this picture looks exactly like my grandson! It's pretty obvious the grandson will be quite a bit taller than his great-great grandfather. I wonder if his grandchildren will see a resemblence to some actor who specialized in criminal roles, like James Gandolfini.
Of course it may just be those cigars.

6 Comments:

Blogger CV said...

I'm considering dressing my son up in stockings and a cap (like in the photo of your Grandpa) and perhaps calling him "Young Pip." Do you think the kids at school would poke fun of him? Kids can be cruel sometimes.

5:22 PM  
Blogger shana p. said...

Christian, I think you should call him, 'young Pimp' hehe

Anyway.... my aunt and uncle were visiting today and my aunt said when she was little she told her 'If you are lucky you will live long enough to see that your grandchildren look just like their grandparents.' Reading your post made me think of that.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I like the picture, but I like your story about him even better.

6:43 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

christian-
By the time your little boy becomes old enough to attend school, the Young Pip outfit might be in style!
Just relax in your smoking jacket (with cigar or pipe) and let the nanny take care of his mental 'owies.'

cheesecakey-
It's so odd to think of young children looking like grandparents, especially when you knew your grandparents as elderly. I was lucky to have that old photo or I wouldn't have ever believed it.

squirl-
Thanks! I'm thinking, as I write more and more of these family stories, I can put them into chronological order and have some material to save for my grandson. He never even knew my parents, so it could be valuable to him in the future (or not!)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

A very handsome little gent. Bad guys used to be more good-looking, back in the day, don't you think?
BTW, if you check your stats and wonder why someone was on your 1 page for hours, that would be me, interrupted in the middle of my very important blog-reading:)

11:10 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Susie-
I've always loved those bad boys!
I'm still trying to figure out how to read the stats.
I've been on your blog for hours at a time, going off to read other blogs, then refreshing just to see the new comments!

I hope to get back into posting real soon, but have been awfully busy lately, darn!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home