SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Monday, May 30, 2005

First Coed - Ohio University


Maggie Boyd 1846 - 1905 Posted by Hello
Although I find no relationship to Maggie, I have inherited photographs of her, as well as her parents. Once again I believe my Campbell family had collected and saved these photos of their friends and neighbors in Athens County Ohio.
Margaret Boyd was the youngest of nine children born to Daniel and Jane (Elliott) Boyd in Carthage Township.
Maggie's parents placed great value on education. Five of their children became teachers. One child became a lawyer, one a physician and another became both a minister and a teacher.
Maggie graduated from the University in 1873, as the first woman graduate.
I've been lucky most of the old photographs I inherited were labeled with both name and town or county. I have done research on all these photos in an attempt to discover whether they're ancestors, or not.
I happened to Google Daniel (Maggie's father) and stumbled across the Boyd Collection at Ohio U. They were kind enough to photocopy and send me some items of interest. I was able to provide them with scanned photos of the three Boyds. The picture above was of a younger Maggie, which they didn't have.
As yet, my children have little interest in my family search. I'm sure the antique photographs of non-related people will be of even less interest. This is why I'm adding notes to my living trust with regard to where these pictures might be donated. There is one post-it note already affixed, regarding the Boyd family... "Please donate to Ohio University."

4 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Wonder what it is that makes some people interested in this sort of thing, and others, not. I love what you're doing here, without having any connection to the people. I would be so thrilled if someone were doing that with my family (and you do inspire me to get off my butt and see how far I could get). I also very much enjoyed Abraham's story today, of an old traveling "medicine show." I never found "history" particularly interesting, but I can get totally immersed in the history of ordinary folks, families, daily life. You go, Maggie, first female OU graduate!

8:06 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
I've always been a history buff, but not the school-taught names and dates memorization. I too love the stories behind the events.
If the History Channel had been around when I was younger, I might have gone into another field.
Although I'm retired, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

History STORIES are fun. Memorizing names and dates is not fun. I don't have the patience to do what you're doing here, but I enjoy visiting.

2:56 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
I'm lucky in the fact that I'd already done this research, so I'm just writing what I already have unearthed.
I'm happy people do visit and comment here... especially with such dry subject matter.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home