SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Monkeyshines


Me & "Monkey Muggs" Posted by Hello
Since I appear to be the oldest blogger poster around, I'm betting none of my readers will know who this monkey is! (I don't mean the one in the hat.)
Oh, we're not related either... just roommates for several years.
J. Fred Muggs was a baby chimp who appeared on The Today Show in the early 1950s to boost sagging ratings. He appeared, along with Dave Garroway for 13 weeks and was well loved by the audience.
I didn't know this until I just now Googled his name. One article, dated about 1998, claimed he was still living!
I doubt whether I watched The Today Show at such a young age, heck- I don't watch it now.
My toy is now long gone, but not forgotten. Here's to you Monkey Muggs!

9 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

That is a wonderful shot. Have you noticed old-fashioned monkey toys making a comeback? They're everywhere; the ones with the cymbals, and one I saw where the monkey jumps rope. Too cute.

9:02 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
I was thinking of you when I posted this!
Thought perhaps you may have been the only person to know who J. Fred Muggs was. See, I am the eldest poster!
I adore monkeys, especially the antique toys.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

My sister, Bucky, found a picture of me when I was two or three sitting with a stuffed monkey that was almost the same size as me. As she was making lewd monkey jokes on the blogs at that time she didn't think she should post that picture. I don't think it was a Monkey Muggs. Maybe it was a cheap knock-off.

9:45 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
Y'know I read Bucky's blog (and yours as well) most every day.
I rarely post on her site because, well, what can you add that she hasn't already said?
I haven't read her monkey 'stuff,' but can only imagine what sick, twisted and horribly funny things she wrote!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I appreciate that you read my site. I'm having fun with it. I know what you mean about Bucky's site, she does just about say it all. :-)

She did have horribly sick, twisted and very funny monkey jokes going for a while. I think Ladybug finally put a stop to the whole thing. It was mostly played out on Dooce, though.

6:11 PM  
Blogger CV said...

I don't know who "Monkey Muggs" is but I can perhaps go farther back and more obscure. Have you ever heard of the 'sock monkey' and his friend 'the crow?'

12:56 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

christian-
I used to have a sock monkey my grandmother had made using a grey sock... it had button eyes (as I remember.)
Clue me in- who are sock monkey and friend???
This isn't dirty is it?
*snicker, snicker*

1:59 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

OMG! I was looking at a photo album tonight and say a picture of me with my "monkey muggs" when I was a toddler. I googled it thinking nothing would come up. I was wrong! I wasn't the only kid who grew up with MM!

8:48 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Well a late hello to you Kevin!
I have absolutely no idea when you commented...
Sorry I missed you. I rarely go back to my old postings. My mistake!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home