SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Friday, April 08, 2005

Take My Wife... Please!


Edward Campbell, 1843 - 1924 Posted by Hello
Edward Campbell was born in Ohio, fought in the Civil War in the 32nd Infantry, Company K, and later became a farmer.
He didn't marry until about 1916, when he was 73 years old!
As a child I'd heard tales about a Great-Aunt Cora who was considered the family hillbilly, or as my Grandmother said "Hill William." This woman supposedly ran around barefoot, played fiddle and smoked a corncob pipe!
While researching the family, I've always kept my eyes open for anything on a Cora, and finally found her about a year ago.
She's actually my Great-Great Aunt through marriage.
Cora E. Bailes was born in 1881. She married a Samuel C. Kelley in 1897, had two sons, and was widowed sometime around 1910. Cora married Edward Campbell at the age of 35, (he was 73.) They had one son together, Edward Jr., who supposedly died when the bus in which he was riding rolled off a mountain.
I have a great number of 'unknown' people in old photographs, so I just might have a picture of Cora, but I don't recall any photos of a barefoot woman, playing a fiddle and smoking a corncob pipe. Darn!

4 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

My ethnic heritage is Hillbillian. (I love "Hill William!") But I don't really have any relatives who went ALL THE WAY with it, like Auntie Cora. I mean, they might have played a fiddle, but had shoes. Or smoked a corncob pipe, but played the piano. See, no PURITY in their Hill Williamness. Cora sounds like the real deal.

5:23 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
I love all things Hillbilly!
Think the tendency to run barefoot skipped some generations and landed on me. You'd think stepping on a few rusty nails and living bees 'woulda teached' me...

11:15 AM  
Blogger Mortart said...

I want to think you for your very kind comment on my blogger piece, "Reflections on a 61-year old photo." It was very kind of you. I also wanted to e-mail you to inquire how you were able to post photos on your blog. I've tried unsuccessfully to post the Army photo that I describe. Blogspot's instructions are not helpful, although I've download Hello and the related psicture program. What is your e-mail address? Mine is: iankev@att.net

12:13 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

mortart-
I just now sent you an email. Hope the information helps!
I'll be checking back on your site and certainly hope to see the picture.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home