SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Monday, April 11, 2005

Rub-A-Dub-Dub


Dad & Ted in the washtub, about 1940- Posted by Hello
I'm unsure whether this photo was posed, or whether this was truly a bath.
My grandmother's house was old, in fact it still had the (disabled) gas fixtures high on the walls from the pre-electric era. This home on Cottage Street in Rochester, New York, also had at least one bathroom.
This picture may have come from their previous residence on Wyndham Road, which I don't recall ever visiting.
The manner in which the boys are hiding their faces leads me to believe it's a bath... but dear God where are those bubbles coming from?

7 Comments:

Blogger CV said...

I hate baths, I think bathing in a tin tub would be absolute torture.

I'm reminded of a sign one of my friend's have hung up in their bathroom. It's an old fashioned "old west" sign which reads, "Hot Baths available: Used Water 5 cents. New Water 15 cents.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I thought it was posed because, please, if they were serious about getting clean, they'd need some elbow room for scrubbing. Maybe they posed and then had second thoughts and hid their faces! Wonderful picture.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hmmmm, just where did those bubbles come from?

I lived in the South until I was 11. Summers were hot and my parents didn't have a pool. My mother would put one of those out in the driveway and fill it with lovely, lovely cold water. Couldn't swim but at least we could cool off. :-)

6:06 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

christian-
I want that sign! I currently live in Gold Country, in the new West... you'd think I could find one of them 'thar' signs around.
susie-
You're probably right! I do come from several generations of (photographic) 'face-hiders.'
squirl-
Well- I don't think they were "scrubbing bubbles!"
Those tin tubs! Remember when it got early in the evening and the water was warm, but there were dead bugs already floating around?

11:30 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

karria-
Thanks for stopping by my site!
I guess posting these old photos online is better than putting them in a rarely looked at photo album.

7:44 AM  
Blogger jac said...

that was damn cute

8:23 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

jac-
I missed your comment, until just now, so sorry.
I think it's cute too!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home