SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Say Cheese... Please?


Ellen Campbell Murray, 1839 - 1918 Posted by Hello
Born Ellen Campbell, in Athens County, Ohio, in 1839. She was my great-great grandmother.
She became a teacher and later moved to Carroll County, Maryland, sometime between 1860 and 1870.
She married Samuel Murray on October 9, 1869.
Ellen appears to be the only one of her eight siblings to leave Ohio. I wonder just how this marriage came about.
Was she deemed a spinster schoolteacher and had an arranged marriage forced upon her? Both her father, and father-in-law (to be) came from Ireland, perhaps there is a connection there.
Her future husband was a farmer, and not likely to travel to Ohio on a lark. (ROADTRIP- hitch up the buggy and let's go!)
I do know that Ellen's parents met, and married, in a section of Frederick County, Maryland, which later became Carrol County.
An entire segment of my Lescalleet family also moved to Ohio, from Maryland, in the same timeframe.
Samuel Murray's mother was Ann Lescalleet, so my best guess is the families kept in close contact after the move. I like to imagine the families had some kind of get-together, maybe a wedding, reunion, or even a funeral, bringing about a meeting of the two.
Ellen passed away during the influenza pandemic, in 1918, bringing an end to her story.
I do wish, however, there was at least one photo in which she was allowed to crack a smile.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sylvana said...

Ah! You're a Campbell clanner! Me too. I learned while I was in Scotland that the Campbells were devious and are still not very well liked in many parts of the country.
I am also from the innocuous Walker clan (of cookie and whisky fame) so maybe it all evens out somehow.
Slainte-mhath! and pass the biscuits!

11:18 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Cousin sylvana!
I haven't yet learned much about the Campbell clan.
Devious can be a good thing sometimes!
My Campbells were Scots-Irish, and if I remember correctly, the Scots-Irish are thought to be traitors???
I would love to visit Scotland sometime. I've tried haggis (sp?) and even enjoyed it, so I'd probably fit right in!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Yeah, I think both of my clans were Scot-Irish. My dad tells me that most of the relatives that he rembers from his childhood had come over from Ireland- although our family really originated in Scotland. Hmm, wonder what they did to get run out. TWO devious clans!! Oh, my!
Yes the Cambells were murderous traitors to the clans.
If you only go to one foreign country in your life you MUST go to Scotland!! Definitely the best country I've visited so far. Absolutely lovely scenery and weather. It did rain a lot, but you get used to it. Beats dripping with sweat and dying of heat exhaustion! Loved the haggis too.

7:32 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

sylvana-
I lived a number of years on the coast near San Francisco in the fogbelt. To see any sun, one had to drive out of town.
Sometimes in the middle of summer, I dream of going back to visit the fog.
Rain would be just fine!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home