SierraBella

A Search For My Family History

My Photo
Name:
Location: "The Mother Lode" region, California

I retired in 2002, and I'm still loving it!

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Cameras, Cameras, Everywhere


Grandfather Nicht & Dad- Posted by Hello
I've previously posted about my grandfather Earl Francis Nicht, shown above with my father. This picture, showing the ever present cigar clamped in his mouth, is how I remember him.
Grandpa was born, and remained in Rochester, New York. I don't know whether the family's love of cameras was due to their close proximity to Eastman Kodak, or just a hobby (aside from music) they developed. (Developed- bad pun intended!) I do remember visiting Rochester and hearing tales about George Eastman. Perhaps my grandfather knew George. They may have come in contact at the Rochester Democrat newspaper, where grandpa worked as a lithographer.
Most of the family photographs were taken by the men in the family, so I'd guess this picture was taken by my grandmother. In the few photos actually showing the Nicht men, you will always see a camera- if not in front of their faces, it will be hanging around their necks, ready to take another picture.

9 Comments:

Blogger Random and Odd said...

You're right...you do need a D70 because it is in your BLOOD to have one!! Your GENES ARE SCREAMING for one!!!

Mr.SOB better get you one. ;)

Found you through Greenie.

1:41 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

kristine welcome!
You know, I posted this earlier today, before I knew I needed the D70.
You are soooooo right.
Isn't Greenie great?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

A lot of pictures were taken by the men. Many pictures of my grandmother with the kids. Almost none of my grandfather.

3:29 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

squirl-
That's so true!
Most pictures of my father were taken by his dad, or by me.
My husband (Mr. SOB for now) never takes pictures, which is why he's not so hot about the D70.
I'll have to work on him... I have my ways!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Nick Danger said...

positivly simple! awsome picture and story

4:07 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

To this very day, whenever I smell a cigar I think of my Grandfather. I remember languid evenings sitting on the porch gazing at the fireflies I caught in a bottle as he smoked a cigar and read the paper.

He'd often play Pavorotti or Caruso on his old turntable.

10:14 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

nick-
Well thank you!

hermes-
ahhhhh, a mini-story within a comment. I love it!
Although we have no fireflies out here, I remember creating firefly lamps as a child in Maryland.
After my grandfather died, my grandmother swore she'd occasionally smell his cigar at the dining table after dinner. She felt he was just checking in on her.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

This is interesting. If your "ways" work, do share. Jif just remarked to me that he saw a D70 on sale for $900.00. I tried not to emote too much, just playing it cool. I am very covetous of that contraption.

3:54 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

susie-
I'm going to have to break him down, slowly.
I saw a D70 for about $999. He blanched... and that was before I told him I thought the lenses are extra.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home